Records Services


Submission of a crash report (FR300P) to the Department of Motor Vehicles is required for all crashes which occur on public property that involve death, personal injury, or property damage of $1,500.00 or more.  Public property is considered highways, roads, streets, and public parking lots maintained by state, county or municipal funds.

Who is entitled to copies of crash reports?

  • Driver and Passengers involved in the crash
  • Injured persons/pedestrians/bicyclists involved in the crash
  • Property/Vehicle owners
  • Attorneys and/or insurance agents representing the driver or property owner

All reportable crashes are documented in TREDS (Traffic Records Electronic Data System) and will only be available through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

All reportable crashes to the Commonwealth of Virginia, which are investigated by the Colonial Beach Police, are recorded in the Traffic Records Electronic Data System, commonly known as TREDS.  The Virginia Highway Safety Office manages this system.

Once our department has reviewed the reportable crash report (FR300), it is submitted to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles’ approval process. 

The DMV maintains the official record of all reportable crashes occurring within the Commonwealth and is responsible for the dissemination of these reports.  In order to receive a copy of this report, click here to request a crash report from Virginia DMV.

The Colonial Beach Police Department does not disseminate Crash Reports (FR300) submitted to the DMV.


Hit and run crashes on public property less than $1,500.00; crashes occurring on private property and involving death, personal injury or hit and run crashes.

In those instances where a crash is not reportable to the DMV and it is not required by Department policy (see above), no documentation of the crash will be generated.

Crashes that are not reportable to the Commonwealth of Virginia may be documented in the department’s record management system.  The investigating officer will inform the involved parties of the crash, if such a report exist, by providing a case number.

To obtain a copy of a POLICE REPORT

Copies of police reports are released only to law enforcement officers or by subpoena. However, if you were involved in an incident that resulted in a police report, you may obtain an incident report. It includes brief, written verification that a police report was filed, including the case number assigned to that incident, date and location of the incident, type of incident, and the officer’s name.

NOTE: Incident reports may be released to involved parties as permitted by Virginia Code Section §2.2-3706(A)(2).  Pursuant to Virginia Code §2.2-3706(B) all identifying information of a personal, medical, financial, and/or investigative nature will be redacted from the report.

Incident reports are available for the following individuals;

  • Victims of a crime
  • Property owners
  • Those directly involved in the incident itself
  • Complainants (those who reported the incident to the police department).


LAW ENFORCEMENT AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATORS PLEASE NOTE: If you have more than three criminal history record requests, you may have to drop them off and return later for pick up.

*This is a Record Check for ADULT Criminal Charges that occurred in the Town of COLONIAL BEACH ONLY, where Colonial Beach Police responded and/or charged an individual.